Reach Out and Read's Developmental Milestones of Early Literacy
- starts to copy letters and numbers
- sits still for even longer stories
- can listen longer
- recognizes numbers and letters
- can retell familiar stories
- can make rhymes
- learning letter names and sounds
Reach Out and Read's Reading Tips for Parents:
- relate the story to your child's own experiences
- let your child see you read
- ask your child to tell the story
- encourage writing and drawing
- point out letters in your child's name
- fairy tales and legends
- books with longer stories and fewer pictures
- books about kids that look and live like them -- but also books about different places and different ways of living
- books about going to school
- books about making friends
- books with simple text they can memorize
- vocabulary books
To get started, fill in the information and you will recieve tips about your child and what you can do!
Would you like to receive child development tips and activities through email?
Take me to the content!